måndag 4 juni 2012

Grin and Bear it!

So it was my niece´s first birthday about a week ago. I am trying not to drown the poor kid in hand knits – and I have to admit it´s not going terribly well. But just as I was losing another battle against the urge to cast on something new for her...

Enter Teddy!


The solution is of course to knit something for my niece that she doesn´t have to wear herself.
(Yes, that is both sneaky and clever isn´t it)


Since I had some yarn left over from the cardigan that I made her before, Teddy got a matching outfit.


I spent a whole day knitting this tiny sweater – Teddy is a pretty small bear. Albeit with an acute dress sense.

And this is the happy birthday girl being introduced to her new friend.


I really thought that I had outsmarted myself – when I found that I somehow had cast on something pink and with a lace pattern around the bottom. 
No, surely.
It couldn´t possibly be. 
A knitted dress for someone small?



Oops.


The original pattern is from the 1930´s, but like many patterns from that era it´s not very accurately written. No given gauge, no needle number, no measurements given for how long to make the skirt part...

So knitting this dress has been a bit of trial and error. There has been some ripping (and swearing) but now it´s more or less done. Just need to crochet a picot edging – and of course no instructions given for how to do that. In those days you were more or less expected to be born with knowledge like that.


5 kommentarer:

  1. Heldige bamsen! Og heldige Hilma! Morsomt å lese :-)

    SvaraRadera
  2. Happy Birthday Hilma! What a lucky girl and a lucky bear to have a lovng auntie who knits such lovely things.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Søt bamsegenser:) Tusen takk for et fantastisk flott foredrag på lørdag hos Projo's Strikketreff. Du er en stor inspirasjonskilde for mange av oss:)

    SvaraRadera
  4. Du lager så mye lekkert! Da jeg så den gamle bloggen din oppdaget jeg at jeg har sett bloggen din før. Jeg tror jeg søkte etter et dragemønster en gang. Tusen takk for et fantastisk inspirerende foredrag i går! Jeg har tatt frem bunadsvesken min og skal se om jeg finner noe inspirerende der. Håper å se deg igjen neste sommer! Ønsker deg en herlig og kreativ sommer.

    SvaraRadera
  5. I love the sweater you knitted for the bear, so adorable! Also, the dress you started looks very pretty, I love patterns from the 1930's and 1940's!

    SvaraRadera